Nikki Haley, Republican Party candidate in the 2024 US presidential election, delivers a speech during a campaign event at Lowcountry Town Hall in Bluffton SC, United States, on November 27, 2023.
Pedro Zay | Anadolu | fake images
Former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley has requested a US Secret Service protection detail, citing an increase in threats against her, NBC News confirmed Monday.
Haley is the only major candidate still running against Donald Trump in the Republican presidential primary.
“When you do something like this, you get threats. It’s just a reality,” Haley said in South Carolina last week.
“Part of running for public life is that you’re going to deal with the threats that are out there. That’s not going to deter me. Does that mean we have to put a few more bodies around us? Yeah, okay,” he said. he said at a campaign event in Colombia.
Trump and his supporters have urged Haley to drop out of the race and endorse his campaign. But Haley has so far refused.
On Monday, Haley said the increase in threats “won’t stop me from doing what I need to do,” according to The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the request for protective details.
Requests for Secret Service protection by presidential candidates are not granted by the United States Secret Service itself. Rather, they are authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security, who decides whether or not to grant the request after consulting with a joint congressional advisory committee.
A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Haley’s request.
Despite losing to Trump in the first two nomination contests in Iowa and New Hampshire, and trailing in the polls, Haley has vowed to stay in the race.
Spokespeople for the Trump and Haley campaigns did not immediately respond to requests for comment.